In my role as City Councillor for 6 years and as Mayor for the past 7 years, I’ve been proud to lead the City in transformational strategic planning, including the following areas:
- 2014 Official Community Plan
- Master Transportation Plan
- Arts and Culture Master Plan
- Parks and Recreation Master Plan
- Port Moody’s first Sustainability Plan
- Long-Term Financial Framework
- Port Moody Police Strategic Plan
- Winner Marcom Platinum award (for communications)
- Zoning Bylaw Update
- Community Amenity Contribution Development Fees
- Bonus Density Contributions
- Implementing ‘locals first’ policies with developers on new projects in the City.
- Rental protection and tenant relocation policies.
I also advocated for the creation of the Port Moody Economic Development Office, proposed the new Social Planner position, and led the creation of the Community Advisory Group – the largest ever community committee with over 200 members providing input into shaping financial plans, recreational priorities, updates to zoning bylaws, and new master plans.
I’m known for my collaborative approach and enjoy working with my colleagues from other cities to develop and implement strategies related to issues of regional interest. I’ve played a leadership role in numerous capacities:
- Chair of the Housing Committee for Metro Vancouver, leading the region’s planning on affordability and homelessness issues. Metro Vancouver is a federation of 21 municipalities, one Electoral Area and one Treaty First Nation that collaboratively plans for and delivers regional-scale services.
- Metro Vancouver Utilities Committee, providing oversight of multi-billion dollar projects for the region’s waste and water
- Metro Vancouver Electoral Area Committee
- Translink’s Mayors Council, responsible for the development and implementation of the largest ever transportation improvement plan for Metro Vancouver, over $7 billion of investment in the region
- Union of BC Municipalities Housing Task Force – authored “A Home For Everyone: A Housing Strategy for British Columbians”
- Metro Vancouver Special Homelessness Task Force – authored “Addressing Homelessness in Metro Vancouver”
- Providing oversight and leadership on the planning, building and opening of the Evergreen Extension of the Millennium Skytrain line.
- Council approval of over 500 units of purpose built rental housing in 2017/18, the first since the 1980s, including over 100 units of below market rentals.
- Creation of ‘the Club’ centre for adults over 50.
- Introduction of the first electric vehicles into the city fleet.
- Helped lead the City into the 21st century on use of the internet, websites, and social media platforms, ultimately increasing public access to information and awareness
- Supporting the local breweries, now a hallmark attraction for the City around the region and world.
- Expansion of cycling lanes and off road cycling paths for commuter and recreational cyclists.
- Provided the vision and recommendation to introduce the Shoreline Shuttle Pilot Program this summer
- Dedicated to increasing free and affordable family events in Port Moody, initiating and/or championing some of the cities most exciting events:
- Car-Free Day – 2017 inaugural, over 20,000 people !
- Rib Fest – 2015 inaugural, over 40,000 attending three day event.
- Food Truck Festival – 2015 inaugural, thousands enjoying good eats and entertainment.
- Summer Sunday Concert Series – premier music event in the region
- Mayor Summertime Celebration – 2016 inaugural, summer fun for families !
- Expanded CP Holiday Train Event
- Holiday Cheer at the Pier – 2017 inaugural – thousands enjoying a holiday celebration !
- Community Fair – 2018 inaugural
- FireFit challenge – 2018 host – hoping to bring this back again.
- Inlet Spring Regatta (Dragon Boat) – 2018 inaugural, over 3000 participants and spectators